Monday, September 15, 2008

Monday Post

Well, it actually started last night about 10 pm. Daniel started about 3 pm complaining periodically saying "Ouwee! Ouwee!" and grabbing the front of his diaper. Well they got progressively more frequent and worse as the evening wore one. We got up to the room about 9:30 and I was totalling up his liquid intake and output. Noticing that in 7 hours he only peed 100 mLs....I knew something was wrong! Usually he can do a good 1000 mLs. His input/output are usually only about 100 mLs off from each other each day. Last night it was about 700. He then had about 3 of these 'attaches' in about a 30 minute period. I finally called the on-call pediatric nephrologist, which happened to be Dr. Talley. She had never heard of anything like this so she called Dr. Sutherland. I got the call back to meet him at the hospital in 15 minutes. So off we went! He said that the stent that holds the catheter in place (it's right where the new urether and the bladder were attached so to avoid undue pressure on the new seam.) Anyhow, the stent could have moved or gotten blocked. So he was going to call the surgeon and then get some things to slush the catheter line. Daniel ended up peeing just as Dr Sutherland came down the hall with everything! I feel bad, but he was happy for that outcome. We got to bed about 11:30.
So this morning as we were getting up for his clinicals, he had 5 attaches in less than 1 hour. Only peed 475 mLs that night, when normally he did over 1000. So I was glad to go the clinicals. We get there and there is 1 doctor for 6 (SIX!) 8:30 appointments. Needless to say we were there until 11 am! anyhow, he had 4 more attachs there in the office and the Dr there said it was bladder spasms. I kept asking why the urine output is so low, she said she couldn't explain that. I suggested an ultrasound or x-ray or something....so said no. (there was more involved in all this....this is just the outcome) Anyhow, I left VERY frustrated and angry. He only has them when he moves a lot, so I decided to just keep him still today, the catheter comes out tomorrow! YEAH! I'll talk to the surgeon. Dr Sutherland said last night that sometimes the stent can shift and maybe it's poking the bladder and maybe mucus has built up and caused an partial blockage. So anyhow, today was LONG and hard, but we are almost done! But input/output is still 2300 in and only 1100 out! I hate to think where the rest of that urine is!
But we went for walks today, played with the train set (surprise! surprise!) and read some books and colored! Had to do laundry because he has diarrhea, too and messed ALL over the stroller! I cut off the straps becuase there was NO way I was goign to be able to clean the mess out of those! :-) Dinner was brought in from a DELICIOUS restaurant here in town! Ate WAY too much brussel sprouts, pork loin and this amazing coleslaw salad! I think I'll owe money this week...for those of you that know my weekly weigh in thing!
Have a really nice friend here that I was able to sit and visit with for over an hour! Her son had a kidney transplant about 6 weeks before Daniel. So it's nice to talk and compare 'notes' with someone going thru this stuff, too!
Anyhow, 15 hours until catheter is out! 4 days until Brenda and boys come visit and then 6 days until MY BOYZ come and visit! YEAH!

2 comments:

Story Family said...

Hang in there, little Daniel! I hope he's okay until the catheter comes out. That will be NICE!! Hang in there, Amy!

judy said...

Hi Amy and family,
I have been thinking about your family and I am glad that things are going well for you. Your kids are very cute. Have a great week. judy