Friday, August 29, 2008

Rest of Friday report

I didn't read what I put earlier this morning, so if I repeat,SORRY! I am also tired and I am going to try to get to bed before 11 pm, so I am typing fast and will surely have typos! We had many ups and a few downs today. Daniel was a lot more alert today. Staying awake an hour or a little more at a time. So I would go the to library there at the hosptial while he slept and checked out books. then the next time he was awake we'd read them. He was just his old self talking about the book and making animal noises and things. IT WAS GREAT! He even wanted to watch Mickey Mouse (that's a boy!) and so I checked a movie out for him, too! He started having bladder spasms. Those are NOT fun! They hurt really bad....I know from experience! Anyhow, it wasn't fun when those happened. They only last about 30-60 seconds so by the time meds get administered they were over. But hten he slept well for a bit. About 7:30 pm he had about 4 in a 10 minute time, so a rectal suppository was given to help with the spasms and he rested well. His kidneys are still being 'stupid' as Dr. Talley called it. She said hopefully by Sunday evening they will realize they need to keep those things and not dump them. So, since he is so ahead of schedule, we'll pray for tomorrow! Then we can get rid of 2 of his drip lines! He is really swollen and puffy. (to be expected) It's from all the fluids they are giving him. His skin was getting really tight, so they have him a lasix in his IV. It helps him pee a lot! It helped. His upper half of his body (chest area) really went down in swelling. Lower, still really tight. So they are going to start a lasix drip on him tonight sometime. So hopefully tomorrow he'll feel better. (To my touch...it doesn't hurt him or anything) Anyhow, I got to hold him today at 4 pm for 2 hours. He snuggled right into my arm next to the chords and IVs and fell alseep! Then I started crying! The simple joys of life that we take for granted, like holding our kids! It was just a bit of heaven for me at that moment. It got interrupted though becuase a PIC line was put in. I had to leave for 1 1/2 hours. A PIC line runs from his upper arm and it's a tube that was fed into his heart. THey will use it to draw blood from him over the next few months. I LOVE it because they won't have to pick him now! YEAH! So I went off to see Kelle. She was doing good. She got an infection and had a slight fever this morning. They put her on some anti-biotics and she was doing better this evening when I went to see her. She was craving some Sprite so I went and got her some! I'll do anything for her! :-) (And when you read this Kelle...you remember that! The market across the road has some good things! You name it, it's yours!):-) OH! And Daniel is on a clear liquid diet, now! He DOWNED his sippy cup! I woudl too, if I hadn't had anything via mouth for about 72 hours! So tomorrow he gets breakfast!
Anyhow, we are going to be moved tomorrow. That is the plan, at least. He is going back up to 3 West (the name of the wing with heart and kidney transplant patients). He'll be in I-ICU ... Intermediate ICU so his nurse will have 2 patients to watch. So that makes me feel better knowing he'll still have a good eye on him!
Kevin flew to Reno this morning for class. He comes back tomorrow night about 6:30. So I am going to hit hte pillow BEFORE midnight! YEAH! It's gonna be a long day tomorrow.
I forgot to mention that Daniel hasn't had any blood clots, which is amazing! Apparently there are usually a few....but we aren't out of the woods yet. And also, his incisions look really good! It's the drain tube that grosses me out! UGH!

1 comment:

Mom, Wife, and, Student said...

Amy, thank you for remembering to keep all of us updated!
I am so amazed, relieved, and excited that Daniel is doing so well.
You are the first and last topic we talk about everyday.
We miss you all and love you very much!