Sunday, April 26, 2009

Legos on the Sabbath

So we have church at 1 pm. It drives my nuts because I feel like the mornings are like Saturday mornings. Running around and chaos. So for Family Home Evening this past Monday we had a lesson on Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy. What is expected of us at church on Sunday (how to act, talk, things we do during chruch, etc.) and also on what Sunday was created for and appropriate things we do on Sunday. We have some butcher paper on teh wall listing everything. So this morning was our trial run. The kids are doing really good! Here are some pictures of the things the boys made out of Legos: (I just noticed none of the kids have their glasses on. They look so different!)


This is Comptyn's version of the last supper. The brown lego is the bread and the red lego is the wine. He wanted purple, so I sang him the song, "Red, Red Wine". He didn't want to dig to the bottom of the tote to find the little lego people to sit around the table, he said.

Bryce told me he was going to make some "knights". I couldn't figure out what knights had to do with anything scriptural. Then he started building this big wall. In the Book of Mormon (scripture written by people on this continent during the time of Christ) there is a Prophet named Samuel and he was a Lamanite (Lamanites are the native American indians of today). Anyhow, Samuel was a Lama-KNIGHT. So Bryce recreated the story of Samuel standing on the wall and telling the wicked Nephites to repent and telling them of the birth and death of Jesus. (This all happened years BEFORE the birth of Jesus.) Samuel did all this while having the Nephites throw rocks, arrows, etc at him. So if you look close you will see Bryce dug to the bottom of the lego tote for the little lego guy with the crossbow! He was pretty excited about that! By the way, Samuel is the red lego on the wall. In teh picture we have of this story, Samuel is wearing a red robe. He couldn't find a lego man he was happy with.

This is Ryan's rendition of the Final Judgement. He explained everything! There is the Judgement Bar and the white lego is the chair Heavenly Father will sit in and listen to us and Jesus, he said. I was VERY impressed! He must have either read that in his scriptures or learned it at church. I don't ever remember talking about that! Anyhow, they are trying hard and I appreciate it! It does make a difference. Hardly any fighting this morning.....still some....but hardly any!

3 comments:

mom said...

What a great idea, but what would I expect from such an amazing family. Although I am not to sure about how appropriate "red, red, wine" is for the Sabbath! HEHE

Ladyfox said...

Sounds like a great activity. We love legos around here. They are a never ending way to use imaginations.

Anonymous said...

YOU and your boys are so creative. Good job Lord's boys.