Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Dear Daniel Updates

Are you tired of hearing all these updates? The alternative would be that he was healthy and there wouldn't need to be any, so I am kindof getting tired of them! But at least they are good news! Labs done on Monday. BUN was 26 and creatinine 0.4! Those are PERFECT! Which I am very grateful for as we have had to literally force liquids down him for the past 12 days since tonsils/tubes. I took Daniel into the doctor last Friday because he kept complaining his ears were hurting. (i thought tubes might have slipped or something) She said it was pain displacement because of his throat. (Even thougth I pointed out it was still really swollen and shouldn't be....she said she has seen it take a week to go down) I figured with his slower healing, it was that. The last 3 days have been nightmares! We were waking up EVERY HOUR of the night becuase of his ears. So I took him back in yesterday because I can't take it any more. There is nothign we can do to comfort him, he cries and whines 3 of the 4 hours he is on pain meds. It has just worn me too thing! well, we are now on a powerful anti=biotic we started last night. He got his first dose at 5 pm. "Only" woke up 4 times last night. The last time being 5:30 I drugged him again and it is currently 10:45 and he is still asleep and hasn't cried out at all. (I also gave him another dose of anti-biotics) Anyhow, YEAH! I think today I might actually be a more patient mother!
We started Daniel lefllunomide (I am now spelling it right) for hte BK Virus. We pray that will help eliminate that from his body! Yes, if you look it up, it is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, too! Strange, huh?
Also, something about his labs....when Kevin was gone last week I stopped giving Daniel his magnessium supplement in his feeds at night. It was just one less thing I needed him to wake up crying from. (He gets REALLY bad gas pains during the night form that med.) So he was off it for 4 days and his levels came back tied for the best they have EVERY been! 2.2! So I am going to keep him off until his next blood draw and see how it goes again. If levels are still good, then I'll tell Stanford. IF they aren't good, I'll still tell Stanford what I did so they don't increase his mag dose! Magnessium is for muscle and tissue. So don't fret, I'm not hurting Daniel! :-)
Last night was pinewood derby....look for pictures and report later! I am off to keep cleaning!

2 comments:

Mom, Wife, and, Student said...

Glad to hear that Daniel's labs were good. Hope you all get some sleep tonight!!

Story Family said...

I appreciate the updates and you have to know they are such a great way to record Daniel's experiences and progress. I am so happy all the labs are coming back so good. Kids up during the night is SO HARD. Hang in there!!