Friday, March 20, 2009

Daniel's Lab results

Well, I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the good. I took Daniel to the eye doctor and his eyes are perfect! There were some small 'crusties' around his eye lids that we need to clear. (like so small we don't see them well) They might be scratching his eye.
Bad news: Daniel's urine test for one of hte viruses BK also known as JC Virus, tested positive. So now they will track it in his blood. If he tests positive in his blood then we have to adjust his anti-rejection meds so his body can fight it off. (Possibly causing damage to the kidney.) If the JC Virus passes into the central nervous system and into the brain we are in trouble. Then he will develop the progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy. The symptoms of PML are the result of an infection that causes the loss of white matter (which is made up of myelin, a substance the surrounds and protects nerve fibers) in multiple areas of the brain. Without the protection of myelin, nerve signals can’t travel successfully from the brain to the rest of the body. This is fatal. SOOOOOO, to curtail any of this from going beyond even the blood testing positive, please pray Daniel's labs are good. I am having them drawn tomorrow. Results will be back middle of next week. I'll let you know. Thank you! (Don't you LOVE the medical classes you get to take for FREE on my blog?)

3 comments:

Jim Stoor said...

I do, I appreciate your sharing of your little Daniel with the rest of us. We look at your blog regularly and that helps us to know what your doing and the progresses and setbacks that you have. You are a great example to us all. Wish we lived closer to come see you. Sometime you will just open your door and we will be there. Jim and Jill

Greg and Taya said...

Daniel and your family are in our prayers. I am sorry you are having to go through this. We hope things turn out well.

Mom, Wife, and, Student said...

Daniel is a tough little man and I know in my heart that he will be fine!

Much love!