Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Updates to catch up on!

Sorry it's been a few days since I've updated. When I got back to California, I just hung out with Kevin while I had him here. He flew out yesterday, so now I have time while Daniel is napping. I flew in late Sunday night so early Monday morning we had a blood draw for Daniel. His labs came back that his white blood cell count was low so they switched his anti-biotic med from Septra to Macrodantine. He has to have a breathing treatment with that, too. Anyhow, we had a VCUG and ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday morning followed up with a doctor's appointment at urology. Because we were switching the medicine and you have to be on an anti-biotic before having teh VCUG (they shoot dye up into his bladder via a catheter and then fill his bladder up. watching on an x-ray machine we see if the dye goes up into the kidney....relux and we dont' want that....or if it all comes out the way it came in!) Anyhow, we had to have the ultrasound first and then wait for hte lab results. Urine was still in the kidney, so then we just had to pray it wasn't from reflux. That it was just from the kidney not draining well. Anyhow, we DO NOT have reflux! It was such a wonderful relief to see the dye stay in the baldder! Needless to say poor Daniel's little ureter was scratched up from the catheter and he had a REALLY bad 24 hours hours. He held his urine for 11 hours! FInally I put him in the bath tub and put cold water on him! He was bopping around for 1 1/2 hours crying because he had to pee but when he let a little out, it hurt him so bad! Hard to explain that if he endured 15 seconds of pain, it would be over for a while! Well, he peed on his tub toy trains and thought that was great! (Although crying the whole time!) So he finally fell asleep and we went thru it again from 1 - 2:30 am! So asked him if he wanted to get in the bath tub and he said, "pee on trains?" So we did and he slept until I had to wake him up at 7:00 for labs this morning! He even had a little urine in his diaper htis morning. So we had our lab draws and the xenapax (pronounced zenapacks) infustion this morning. That went pretty good. We then had the breathing treatment of pentamidine (an anti-biotic to help prevent pneumonia.) That was NOT fun! I had to hold Daniel while the lady held his head and the breathing mask to over his mouth. It only took about 60 seconds but it was a LONG 60 seconds! So we are done for the day! We are hoping the white blood cell count continues to increase. I don't want to do shots! OH! Since the VCUG came out good, we are now going to have to do the MAG 3 which is a nuclear radiology test where they put a radioactive dye into his blood and it goes throughout his body. It makes it's way to the kidneys where they then give him a lassix (makes you pee....gets rid of fluid in your body) adn watch to make sure the kidneys are draining well. I don't look forward to that at all because the machine he is suppose to sit in (after they put an IV in his hand....so he won't be happy to start with!) is so big, I can just reach thru to hold his hand. He had it done at 8 months old and did INCREDIBLE! I don't think I'll be that lucky, but we'll see! I need to upload some pictures so I'll see if I have some time for that! Dnaiel is still napping! Thanks for checking us out!

No comments: