Thursday, February 17, 2011

My newest goal

So some of you may know that I have joined the local gym. I did that last November. I LOVE my cycling class M-W-F. T-Th I do weights, eliptical, etc. So I got my friend (since she was the one who initially brought me to the gym...thought I'd return the favor) to join this contest they started at the beginning of the year. 2 Categories - most fat % lost and most muscle % gained. There are 1st - 4th place prizes...being 6 months free gym membership ($174 value!). Then this local spa is donating free hair cut, make-over, spray tan (think I'll give that away) and manicure, I think. Anyhow, you can guess I am in the fat % lost. So the gal who does our cycle class is also a personal trainer. She is now T's and my personal trainer. I follow T around like an injured puppy, but LOVE it! That is what we do on T-Th now. We are eating better, getting more benefits out of our weights. Working muscles we didn't know we had!
So today, being Thursday, we met with Carry. Guess our newest goal? RUNNING a 5K! I have to say....I haven't run 1 mile since HS.....20+ years ago. We did muscle then ran a mile. First mile took me about 14 minutes. Did muscle and ran an 11:27 mile. (no laughing at my time.....20+ years remember?) Granted I had to pee! So the last .1 miles I was BOOKING it!
At any rate, we'll see how this goes. I had to quit track in HS because I wore the cartilege out in my knees. We'll see how training 2 times a week will do on them. But I am excited! I love a good challenge. I am pretty competitive! If anything I wanna pass people and make them think...."What?!?! That fat lady is PASSING ME!" :-)

T already said that if I every use the word Marathon in a sentence, she won't be my friend. I promised her I'd NEVER run a marathon!

3 comments:

April said...

I run on my treadmill 3x a week and it takes me 30 minutes to do 2.25 miles so I'm definitely not laughing at your time. You go girl!!

Kim Henke said...

Amy, you are hilarious! I am SO impressed. I run on my treadmill because the thought of running in public is terrifying to me. I'll cheer you on any day though!

terra said...

hey look, that fat lady passed me! Even if you did have to pee, and you are not fat!