Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Saturday at Lattin Farms

We are just falling in love with Lattin Farms! It's a fun, family owned farm here that the kids go to pick pumpkins and berries during school. We went and got our raspberries for our family earlier this fall. So Saturday we went out to get some FREE (can't pass that up!) corn for our chickens! Their corn maze is dead and they let people come in and harvest and crack their own corn. I forgot my camera, but they gave us these pictures! (Otherwise I wouldn't have been in them!)

We went into this room that had all these tools. I can't imagine doing this hundreds of years ago whenever I wanted flour or corn meal! This is the cobber (I dont' know if that is the actual name!) You stick the corn cob in the top and crank it thru these teeth and the kernals pop off and the cob falls out! The kernals are really hard, so it is quick!



This is the cracker. (Again, dont' know if it's the official name!) But you then take the kernals and load it into this machine. Crank it and you have cracked corn. This is what our chickens are LOVING!

So after you crack the corn, you bring it to these mills. Here is where the corn meal is made. We came home with about 8-10 cups and had AMAZING corn bread that nigth! Fresh corn meal really does make a difference! Took a LONG time to get those little bags of meal, but it was fun! Had a good talk to the kids about cleaning their room for 10 minutes or all this work for 1 1/2 hours! We still have a garbage bag of corn in our van we need to go up and do!



I am such a lazy person, I have decided! How did the pioneers ever do anything but make food?

After Lattin farms I had my voice recital! I am taking voice lessons (started in September) and had my first ever recital! I seriously thought I was going to throw up! Sang "The First Noel"...played piano while doing it. Old enough to be ALL the other student's mother! But a friend of mine (you know who you are, T!) is going to take lessons, too so she can be in the spring recital with me! Anyhow, I loved hearing all my boys cheer, clap and "Yah Mom!" afterwards! Made it all worth it! And I didn't throw up!

3 comments:

JLMartin said...

What a fun outing! And you are awesome! I would love to take piano lessons again one day....

mom said...

Tami, I think!

Elizabeth "Betsy" said...

I would love to take voice lessons! Who is your teacher?