So it is no hidden fact that I do NOT like the Pinewood derby. If all the adults stayed out of it and the kids could just have fun, I'd like it! I don't think that an 8, 9 or even a 10 year old should be objected to the WAY competitiveness that some adults make it. Sure, kids want to win. Yes, it's a grea way for them to learn the sport of being a good winner and loser. But when it's ALL about the winning, it drives me NUTS! Anyhow, there are only 3 cub scouts in our pack and 2 of them are my boyz! So we (as a den and pack leaders) decided to just have it be fun! Invited siblings and just planned on it being a fun time. No competition. Ribbons for everyone who participated. Well, didn't quite turn out that way. Had some adults show up that didn't even have kids participating and made a big deal about weight and graphite on the tires, etc. AUGH! Good thing about it.....done for another year! Kids did have fun. Here are their cars:

Nathan and his skateboard with a wolf on it.

Sammy and his police car.

Ryan and his (surprise, surprise!) Harry Potter Knight Bus

Bryce and his ice cream cone. He even put sprinkles on it. He was very funny when he decorated his!

Comptyn and his Hershey bar. Notice the bite out of it.

Daniel and his lion. Gotta love the Cricut machine!
Bryce, for school, had to do a report on someone in history that he has read about. He picked Joseph Smith. I was very pleased with his choice! He did a good job, according to his teacher. He wants me to send it into the Friend magazine. We'll see if I can figure that out! :-) So here is Joseph holding his Book of Mormon.
5 comments:
We've tried to even the playing field by having a day with a saw at the church so that the kids can be supervised while cutting out their cars, then sanding, and even painting a first coat. Then there is a weigh-in evening where graphite can be applied, but after that they are stored in shoeboxes (decorated also by the cubs) and put behind lock and key until the race. No other graphite can be put on. Of course, we have guys putting their cars on treadmills for hours, but it's helped. :)
Very cool. I love the cars! I can't belive Bryce did a report on Joseph Smith. What an amazing missionary!
Such cute cars! (And most definitely send the J.S. photo to the Friend!)
love the cars and the prophet!
I hope you weren't talking about me. I was just trying to help. If it didn't seem that way, then I apologize. I didn't force anyone have graphite on their wheels. I offered it to everyone.
Post a Comment